This summer, I was lucky enough to see the sea every weekend. For me, and I’ve mentioned this before on this blog, feeling the sand between my toes and hearing the waves calms me down. So in my ode to the Summer of 2014, I present my beach stills, some shared before, and some new memories.
I think we all know what tomorrow is but one of my favourite blogger, As the Bird flies…, is calling it Celebrate-Yourself-Day! Just like her, I like the idea of Valentine’s Day, but sometimes find it overwhelming so her idea of treating yourself appeals to me so much! You can find her whole list here, but I want to list my favourite options and then a few of my own!
- Wake up to a Post-It note saying “Smile”.
- Pour yourself a bowl of your favourite cereal; the one with all the sugar in that your mum never let you eat.
- Purchase flowers a few days before Celebrate-Yourself-Day so that when your eyes finally adjust to being awake one of the first things you’ll see is a collection of blooming treats.
- Spend an extra 30 seconds in the shower. Count them down one by one. You’ll be smiling by the time you hit 3-0.
- Wear that outfit that makes you feel more confident/sophisticated/slim/curvy/muscley/sexy/like Beyonce. Delete as appropriate.
- Text five people who might need a hello from someone they love, i.e. you. You’ll feel fantastic by the time that last message is sent.
- Stay off Facebook all day. Spend that time you save (minutes? hours?) deciding or thinking about where in the world you’d like to travel to next.
- Spend more money (or if you work from home, time) on your lunch than you would normally. I’m thinking of going for sushi… or maybe some greasy, too-spicy noodles.
- Buy/make cake. Celebrate-Yourself-Day is a day for cake.
- Do not work while you eat your lunch. Read a book, read a magazine, read your favourite blog or bookmark this to read. It’s my Celebrate-Yourself-Day gift to you. (Let me know if you liked it…)
- Get a take-away drink and if it’s from the shop that insists on asking you for your name, give them the name you always wanted to have when you were a child. I’ll bet by the time you’re holding the coffee in your hand, you’ll find yourself missing the name you have – that’s a GOOD thing.
- Spend five minutes staring at something you like. It could be a nice view, that piece of cake you bought, or a photo of a happy memory. Five whole minutes doing nothing, but looking at that.
- Smile at at least one stranger on your way home or during a walk around the block
- Eat pie for dinner. Or pizza. Or curry. Or something else as rich, creamy and bad for your arteries.
- Wrap your pyjamas in a hot water bottle ten minutes before you go to bed.
- After you’ve watched your favourite film or four episodes of your latest favourite TV show, open the love letter that you’re about to write to yourself. The one that lists 10 things you really like about yourself. Alternatively, if you didn’t bother to do this in advance like I’m suggesting that you do it by the time Celebrate-Yourself-Day (formerly known as Valentine’s Day) is over. Look I’ve already done mine… and this is a much harder exercise than it looks.
- Play with bubbles. Acting like a child is one of the freest feelings there is!
- Watch Miranda Hart’s TV show – that will teach you everything about being true to yourself and loving it!
- Face painting! You can’t frown with a butterfly on your cheek!
- Pat an animal or have a cuddle with one. If you don’t have one of your own, go for a walk in the park and say hello to dog walking past.
- If you are near a beach, feel the sand between your toes. This has been proven to cure all problems. Trust me.
- Feel the sunshine on your skin and if you are a photographer, look for the light and take a portrait of someone or something you love with the sunlight behind them.
- Paint your nails with fun design – doesn’t matter what! Look at my Emma’s puzzle nails below for inspiration!
Day 4: This was once a pool – it is now a fish pond!
Day 2: Derby Day at the races with 105,000 of our best friends! Everyone was dressed in black and white and it was gorgeous way to spend a spectacular Melbourne day! I even won a little bit of money (:
This month, I’ve decided to participate in the inaugural month of NaPhoPoMo! You may have heard of NaNoWriMo – the writing version – but Karen over at chookooloonks has starter her own Photography version this year and I can’t wait! As always, I post a photo a day over on Instagram, as @mandajanex. But I will be posting on here photos I take every day from my camera. I always wanted to do a 365 challenge with my DSLR but some days its hard to bring it, so I went with a phoneography 365 on Instagram. So making my self do a 30 day challenge with my camera is perfect! Hope you enjoy my November!
Last Friday, November 1, I took my gorgeous dogs for a walk to my favourite park. They had been a bit lonely for the last few days so it was perfect afternoon for all of us.
This post is dedicated to most important small person in my life. She lights up the room when she enters, her laughter is contagious, and her smile is gorgeous. Today is Halloween, so I wanted to share my favourite holiday with her. She came straight from Ballet so was already dressed up, so I put on my fairy outfit for her especially. However, within 20 minutes, she had sweet talked her way into wearing all of my costume! By the end, I didn’t have a costume left – just sparkly shoes! Before my party, I couldn’t decide whether I would be Mary Poppins or a Fairy – turns out I was both this Halloween! Miss Pippi, you are amazing and I can’t wait to watch you grow up. I’ll be by your side always – there to have special ‘not grownup’ adventures with and to always look for spiders with. I love you beautiful girl.
May I please introduce this beautiful couple, Maree and Chris? Maree is one of my best friends and Chris is her gorgeous boyfriend. I have known Maree for 4 years now and Chris about 3 – the four of us went away to Tasmania last year so the four of us get along fairly well. So when I wanted to take photos of a couple, I knew exactly who I wanted to start with. Maree herself is also a photographer, we work together on Us vs. The World. This is a few of the photos from this beautiful afternoon spent in Wattle Park, I’ll share the other parts in due course.
I really enjoyed sharing this moment with them, and being able to capture their love in a few frames.
If you would like your love story captured in pictures, I’d love for you to get in touch!
My photos from Queenscliff have been featured over here at the lovely blog called How’s Your Weekend! It’s a great blog where people share the highlights from the weekend’s, wherever they may be in the world. There are some beautiful photos up there from, among others, Japan, France, Scotland, and Portugal.
This November, I have been lucky enough to be invited to the amazing wedding of Sarah, of LineVerseStanza, and Jason. What is especially incredible about this wedding is that it will be on the set of Lord of the Rings (!!!) at Hobbiton, New Zealand. I am so excited for this wedding in just under two months from now. If that wasn’t enough, Sarah and Jason have created the most amazing Wedding invitations. Their Save the Dates were also amazing – all of it tying in the Book theme of the wedding. Over at Sarah’s blog, she details the effort and love that these invitations required and I definitely suggest checking it out, because it makes these beauties even more worth it. I love the invite so much, I wanted to share it on here.